Saturday, August 1, 2009

Wait, wait, wait



When I went to school to get my photography degree we had to study the photographer Alfred Stieglitz.(the top picture) I wasn't happy about this assignment. Alfred was an old man with old ideas. He turned out to be one of my very favorite photographers of all time.
He was the one that worked very hard to have Photography accepted as a liable Art form. I'm so grateful for all of his hard work, it paid off. One of the most important things I learned from Alfred is how to WAIT. This picture isn't the perfect example....but it is one example of waiting.
Alfred Stieglitz would wait for hours and hours for the perfect shot. He would wait in the rain and the cold to get his picture. You have to remember that he was using a camera with metal or glass plates rather than film....it was a lot more WORK to get the shot you were hoping for back then. I'm so glad I studied him, he was amazing and a very important part of the world of Photography...which is why we studied him.

There are a lot of people saying that digital photography isn't photography at all.
They say with the help of Photoshop ANYONE can be a good photographer. Well, I beg to differ but that just isn't true. It still takes at least one artist bone in your body to frame a shot properly and have good composition. And if all you have is one artist bone, I bet you will grow more if you keep taking pictures!
The good part about digital photography is that you can see what you're getting. The bad part is we take way too many pictures and rarely print any of them.
I encourage you digital photographers out there to pretend you are shooting film...
pretend each shot will cost you money....and WAIT. Just watch and wait. You will be AMAZED at what you'll see and be able to capture with your camera.
And while you're sitting there....stop and smell the roses. :o)

No comments: