Thursday, July 30, 2009

At the Lake...


I grew up in Michigan, the land of many beautiful lakes. When I was a child my family would go up to my Aunt Pat's cottage to relax for a weekend, or a week...depending on how much time we had. One of the greatest things about Houghton Lake is the town Prudenville! To this day, it looks like a vacation spot stuck in the year 1960. I can still go there and visit the same souvenir shops I visited when I was 5 yrs. old! They still sell the same silly native american souvenirs...
spears made of bamboo with rubber tips, coin purses made of suede leather with fringe hanging from the bottom, beaded necklaces of little dolls that I loved to wear around my neck, and tons of turquoise jewelry! I never tire of going back to the same stores and seeing the same things. It's almost like an anchor from my past...something that stays the same and rarely changes, giving me a sense of security about my childhood.
As an adult I love to sit in the front yard overlooking the lake and recall the memories I have of the many, many times I have visited this relaxing place. The water, the air, and even the minor inconveniences of the cottage bring me so much peace. It's the perfect place to relax and forget about the busy life back home.
My Mother was very lucky to have this place to come to as she was raising her five children! And I was equally blessed to have the same cottage to come to as I was raising my four children! Today I'm very thankful for my momories of this place.

4 comments:

Silverback said...

And don't forget Lee's, the best Chinese restaurant this side of Beijing. Yum.

Sally said...

Really? I have never been there! What side of the Lake is it on? Or is it in Prudenville? My sister is up there right now! I'm so jealous.

Silverback said...

Emailed you the info, Sally.

Sally said...

Thank you sooo much! My son is going up next week and he can check these places out! My favorite food on the whole lake is the Lake Perch at the Spikehorn Bar near the Airport! Lake perch is my favorite fish and nobody has better than them. And you can shoot pool while you're there...which I love to do!